Mr. Markoff is a native of Los Angeles, California. A graduate of Los Angeles City College in 1964 with an
Associate of Arts degree. His affiliations include: the precious metals and numismatic business for 50 years (1954-2005); Chairman and CEO of A-Mark Financial Corporation, a Santa Monica-based financial services company he founded in 1965 (originally named A-Mark Coin Company), that purchased the U.S. Wilkison Gold Pattern Collection and Redfield Silver Dollar hoard; the A-Mark Foundation, a private foundation he founded in 1997 became the parent of free searchable databases and other nonpartisan information covering interesting and important social issues and history, such as sites on George W. Bush, Barack Obama and Special Investigations Involving US Presidents Since 1973. In 2016, the Foundation founded the website, AboutTrump.org. In 2004, Markoff helped found A-Mark Entertainment a company he co-chairs; and that year he also founded ProCon.org, a 501(c)(3) public charity promoting critical thinking that as of 12-31-2019, had been, or is being used by over 10,000 schools in over 90 countries. [ProCon.org was merged into Encyclopædia Britannica on 5-29-2020]. In 2018, Markoff founded SexEd.net, a website giving straight-forward, sourced information about sex and sexually related issues. In 2020, Markoff launched SecondAmendment.org, a website that has many of the pieces of the puzzle that make up our individual rights to arms. Markoff’s first published book, The Case Against George W. Bush, became available November 2020. Markoff was interviewed by Ralph Nader on the Ralph Nader Radio Hour about his book “where he dispassionately lays out the three major war crimes the former president committed by invading Iraq.”
1. Community/Public Service:
- Conceived (Jan. 2011) and financed the three Richard A. Clarke National Scholarly Monograph Contests of 2011, 2012 and 2013.
- Gave a talk (10/27/04) “Let’s Talk About Lying,” at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA).
- Gave a talk (3/24/04) “How to handle your attorney without losing your sleep, your mind and your bank account,” at Woodbury University (Burbank, CA).
- Founder and Chairman, ProCon.org, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit public benefit corporation (founded on July 12, 2004) [Read a personal statement from Steve Markoff on the origins and background of ProCon.org].
- Member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit ACLU Foundation of Southern California since 1979.
- Member of the Washington, D.C.-based Federal Task Force on Judicial Selection (which issued its report “Judicial Selection” in the Fall of 1999).
- Member of the Board of Directors of the UCLA Management Education Associates from 1986 to 1992.
- Conducted two seminars of “An Entrepreneur’s View” at The Gorbachev Foundation (Moscow, Russia) – The International Foundation for Socio-Economic and Political Studies in Oct. 1992.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the non-profit UCLA Graduate School of Management, Board of Visitors, 1986.
- Member of the Board of Directors of the nonprofit Hollywood Community Hospital from 1982 to 1984 (when it was sold to a for-profit group).
2. Public Service Educational Websites:
- SecondAmendment.org – Many pieces of the puzzle that make up our individual rights to arms. Online in 2019.
- BushInfo.org – Online in 2016, this site has information on George W. Bush’s birth, school, and his early years, and his acts as president.
- ObamaInfo.org – Online in 2015, this site has information on Barack Obama’s birth, school, and his early years, and his acts as president.
- OceanInfo.org – Online in 2015, this site features global and regional scientific information on our oceans.
- Bodfish.org – Online July 2013, this site gives local information on Bodfish, California, a town of 2,000 and the surrounding area.
- Official Anti-Jewish Acts – A site chronicling the 3,047 Official Anti-Jewish Acts from 9/28/456 BC to 10/31/1969. This Project began in 2011 by Steven Markoff, and ended its first phase on September 30, 2020.
- 911plus.org; Online Nov. 2009 – This online database of the to-be-published reference book – whose working title is “9/11 Plus: Events Seemingly Related to 9/11 and Our Subsequent Invasion of Afghanistan and Iraq” – is a compilation of over 7,300 sourced quotes from 1947 to Sep. 11, 2011, surrounding our nation’s worst and most transformative tragedy of the 21st century.
- Celtic Mirrors.org – Founded July 2009, this site promotes the understanding of Celtic (Iron Age) mirrors (said to be made between 300 B.C. to A.D.) with pictures and related information about the 28 known mirrors.
- ProCon.org – A 501(c)(3) public charity created July 2004, whose mission was to promote critical thinking, education and informed citizenship, setting forth pro and con arguments and related information about important controversial issues. Procon.org was acquired by Encyclopaedia Britannica in May of 2020.
3. Published Work:
- The Case Against George W. Bush, Markoff’s first book, became available November 2020
- Published between May 1997 and Aug. 1998 several informational booklets examining different aspects of our nation’s drug policy:
- 1998: “Marijuana Prohibition Has Not Curtailed Marijuana Use by Adolescents (Aug. 1998)”;
- 1998: “If Every American Adult Smoked Marijuana and No Americans Smoked Tobacco, 367,050 Lives A Year Would Be Saved (June 1998)”;
- 1998: “Addictiveness of Marijuana vs. Five Commonly Used Drugs (April 1998);
- 1998: “Some of the Drugs America Takes (March 1998)”;
- 1990: “Marijuana’s Contribution to Preventable Deaths in the U.S. in 1990 (Jan. 1998)”;
- 1997: “Beer and Marijuana Consumption in the U.S. (Nov. 1997)”;
- 1997: “Drugs are Part of the American Culture (Nov. 1997)”; and
- 1997: “State-by-State Medical Marijuana Laws 1997 (June 1997)”.
- 1996: Medicinal Marijuana Legislation by State and Washington, D.C. (1996)
- 1996: June 1996, the 2nd and last CowPie Asks was published titled “What Smells Like A Horse, But Goes To College? Hypocrisy?”
- 1996: February 1996, the first CowPie Asks was published. It was written to emulate Will Rogers’s folksy and friendly style, with a bit of humor, while commenting directly on a controversial issue of the day, with sharp analysis, saying what many might think but few would. The first CowPie, (Calf #1) was titled “Has the Federal bureaucracy grown that much?”
- 1991: “Making Firms Do It Your Way,” a common sense contract between a client and his lawyer that was published in the national magazine The American Lawyer in Dec. 1991.
- 1985: Through the Association of Media Accuracy, a nonprofit organization he co-founded in 1985 with Maury Weiner (Deputy Mayor under Los Angeles Mayor Tom Bradley), Mr. Markoff co-published the following reports in a pro/con format:
- 1986: “Should Chief Justice Rose Bird Be Re-confirmed in the Upcoming November 4, 1986 California Election?,” in Sep. 1986, and
- 1988: “How Practical is Nuclear Power for Our Future?” in May 1988.
4. Books to be Published:
- The ACLU’s First 100 Years at the U.S. Supreme Court from 1920 to 2020 (the ACLU’s Centennial) and related facts and figures of each case
The main work is a compendium of more than 1,175 ACLU cases at the Supreme Court. In addition to the approximate 2 ½-page layman summary of each case, the work includes a Foreword by Erwin Chemerinsky, Ira Glasser’s explicit draft one-pager on what the ACLU does, data on how each Supreme Court Justice voted on each case, and the Win / Loss record (the batting average) at the Supreme Court for all those years by decade and type of vote (i.e. 9-0; 8-1; 7-2; etc.)
The work is 99+% complete and will be available in two different stand-alone formats in 2021.
- A three-volume, 8 1/2 X 11″ hardcover set (after typesetting around 2,400 pages) of over 1,175 cases and related facts and information
- 250 page, 6 X 9″ Handbook, with all the facts and data of the four-volume set, but with only 3 of the 1,175 plus cases.
For several thousand years, Jews have been discriminated against in many parts of the world. What isn’t well known or documented is the extent of that discrimination. This book’s goal is to find and list, with brief summaries in English, all the Official Anti-Jewish Acts in the world through the year 2000. The project began in 2011 and hope we have it published by 2030.
Official means Acts created by government, military and church laws from ruling religions; Acts from these ruling institutions differ in name and type, but may include church canons, church bulls, patents, ordinances, writs, and final court decisions (such as those on the level of a country’s Supreme Court). Acts included are on their face anti-Jewish, and Acts that may be excluded include those that are specific to a few Jews, foreign Jews, and laws that are directed at Jews but on their face don’t seem specifically anti-Jewish.
The author and his researchers continue poring through books on the topic, contacting international libraries, Jewish organizations, and expert resources to compile, so far, more than 2,900 Acts, excluding Nazi-era Acts, from over 40 different countries and geographic areas. The earliest Act we have found is 456 BC, the newest, 1969.
We are looking for researchers fluent in any language to research and translate Official Anti-Jewish Acts from anywhere in the world. There is compensation for each Act accepted. If you are interested in our project, or know of anyone else who might be interested in researching for the project, please go to our information page [http://oaja.info].
5. Plays / Film
- From 2002 to 2010, Steve has twelve producer movie credits:
2010 Beatdown (executive producer); directed by Mike Gunther
2009 The Pool Boys (producer); directed by J.B. Rogers (as James B. Rogers)
2009 Nine Miles Down (producer); directed by Anthony Waller
2009 Next Day Air (executive producer); directed by Benny Boom
2009 Night Train (producer); directed by Brian King
2008 Autopsy (producer); directed by Adam Gierasch
2008 Camille (producer); directed by Gregory Mackenzie
2007 Timber Falls (producer); directed by Tony Giglio
2006 Alpha Dog (executive producer); directed by Nick Cassavetes
2005 Asylum (executive producer); directed by David Mackenzie
2003 Stander (executive producer); directed by Bronwen Hughes
2002 No Good Deed (executive producer); directed by Bob Rafelson
- 2018: Executive Producer of The Marriage Zone, by Jeff Gould, and winner of Best Writer of an Original Play at the 2018 Valley Theater Awards. “Discoveries are made, secrets are revealed and the result is a hilarious and poignant look at the life of a marriage.” Co-produced with Bruce P. McNall.
6. Other Disparate Events
- 2019: Traveled to the Geographic North Pole (90o North) on a Russian nuclear ice breaker, and received a Polar Plunge Certificate after a plunge into the icy waters of the Arctic Ocean. Click here for a video.
- 2013: Inducted in the PNG Coin Dealers hall of fame.
- 2008: As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married his uncle Don Price to Wilkie Pretorious on July 19, 2008.
- 2005: Played first round of golf (18 holes) on Mar. 13, 2005 (with Bruce McNall, Mike Marvin and Marv Dauer), and shot 135. Shot 113 (with a friendly scorekeeper), on Mar. 20, 2005. The other players that day were Bruce McNall, Marty McSorley and Marv Dauer.
- 2004: Attempted driving a Lakester 200 mph on the Bonneville Salt Flats in Utah. The car caught fire after my first 137 mph run.
- 2000: As Deputy Commissioner of civil marriage, married son Chris to Joanna Palica on Nov. 25, 2000.
- 1996, Dec.: Completed a six-hour training course in automatic weapons on Dec. 21, 1996.
- 1995: Flew first and last air combat aerial dog fights, pulling 4 1/2 G’s, browned out (lost color vision for a minute), and had a lighter barf bag than my opponent when we landed.
- 1994: Sent a video copy of “Sex, Drugs and Democracy“, a Jonathan Blank film, to all 535 members of Congress.
- 1992: On May 12, 1992, in Washington, D.C., addressed the Advisory Committee on CFTC/State Cooperation on the question of lending on precious metals.
- 1986: Took a Beginner’s Lesson in flying a helicopter.
- 1986: Attended a class on Falconing. My class notes.
- 1985: Took Diving Accident Management for Emergency Physicians course. Reviewed many diving accident cases.
- 1983: Made solo hang glide from 100′ hill on Apr. 24, 1983.
- 1979: Arbitraged the 1979 United and American Airlines 50% Off Coupons.
- 1978: Made it into the 1978 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records for purchasing the unique U.S. 1907 Double Eagle pattern from the Dr. Wilkison Collection for about $900,000.
- 1977: Joined the Sports Car Club of America in 1977, and began racing Formula Fords.
- 1976: Made it into the 1977 edition of the Guinness Book of World Records for the Jan. 1976 $7.4M purchase of the Redfield Silver Dollar collection – 407,000 U.S. silver dollars weighing 11 tons. It was written up in two Coin World publication articles: “Redfield: The Man Behind the Hoard” and “Redfield coins realize $7.3 million”
- 1975: Made acrobatic flight with Pilot Bob Sparks. Did a Hammerhead, Cuban 8, and Tailspin.
- 1971: Received SCUBA Certification on July 22, 1971 from County of Los Angeles – Certification #013612.
- 1970: Honorably Discharged from the US Army on June 5, 1970.
- 1966: Made solo parachute jump from 2,800 feet on July 31, 1966.